[csw-maintainers] Our core values: providing straightforward experience to the user

Peter FELECAN pfelecan at opencsw.org
Fri Nov 19 10:45:53 CET 2010

Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> writes:

> On 11/18/10, Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski <maciej at opencsw.org> wrote:
>> No dia 16 de Novembro de 2010 21:18, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com>
>> escreveu:
>>
>> I think your contributions to the project in terms of examining
>> packages and discovering issues, are really valuable.  I admire your
>> patience and insight.
>>
>> However, the 20 years experience argument leaves me unimpressed.  I've
>> seen people with 15 or 20 years experience, who, when asked to write a
>> shell script, write something that doesn't work, and asked about the
>> big-O notation of the complexity of the script, can't work out the
>> answer.
>
> I know what you mean. i've seen people like that. :-} usually been at
> the same low-level job for those 20 years.
> So let me share more detail of my experience, and how that benefits my
> position of release manager.

Well, nobody said that your contribution to the community is not
valuable. However, what was said is that your vision is not the only one
possibly correct. Without wanting to start a "who's hard disk's bigger"
game, there are other experienced people in this community and their
vision should matter also. Hence the community concept vs. a sort of
autocratic organization. Let that last one for Fortune 500 entities.
--
Peter