[csw-maintainers] Package length again

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Fri Nov 19 18:19:28 CET 2010

On 11/19/10, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
> Anfang der weitergeleiteten E-Mail:
>> -if [[ ${#software} -gt 20 ]] ; then errmsg $f: software name greater than
>> 20 chars ; fi
>> -if [[ ${#pkgname} -gt 20 ]] ; then errmsg $f: pkg name greater than 20
>> chars; fi
>> +if [[ ${#software} -gt 29 ]] ; then errmsg $f: software name greater than
>> 29 chars ; fi
>> +if [[ ${#pkgname} -gt 32 ]] ; then errmsg $f: pkg name greater than 32
>> chars; fi
>
> Waitaminute... When the package is called
>   CSWpm(max 27 character)
> then the package name will be
>   pm_(max 27 characters)
> leading to a 30 characters long catalog name. I guess the fixing on 29
> catalog name was a it too fast...

What.. you are suggesting that we now LOWER it, because perl package
maintainers cant figure out that they need to shorten their software
name by one char? :-}
We certainly cannot raise it further in any way

I think that the max allowable limits, simply state "max
allowable",and that is fine. If there are collections of packages
(such as perl modules) that have naming conventions beyond our global
standard ones, that is something to be worked out for that area. It
does not need to affect our global limits.