[csw-maintainers] Package length again

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Fri Nov 19 20:07:57 CET 2010

On 11/19/10, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:

> Am 19.11.2010 um 18:19 schrieb Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com>:

>> I think that the max allowable limits, simply state "max
>> allowable",and that is fine. If there are collections of packages
>> (such as perl modules) that have naming conventions beyond our global
>> standard ones, that is something to be worked out for that area. It
>> does not need to affect our global limits.
>
> I am suggesting to raise the catalogname length limit to 30 characters.

but that would allow people to create non-perl packages, that had
catalog names that would not, and could not, match the PKG names
exactly.
One of the big things about adjusting the name lengths, was that we
were finally going to have exact parity between PKG name, and 'catalog
name', from now on.

If you feel so strongly about the 1 char inequality for perl packages,
then perhaps instead you should adjust the perl naming spec so that
instead of

pm_xxxx
CSWpmxxxx

it now becomes

pm_xxx
CSWpm-xxx

Then you once again have full parity between catalog and PKG name.
Plus it looks cleaner anyway. *and* matches what we are doing in other
areas, such as python module naming.