[csw-maintainers] Our core values: providing straightforward experience to the user

Peter FELECAN pfelecan at opencsw.org
Sun Nov 21 12:48:37 CET 2010

Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> writes:

> On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 6:26 AM, Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski
> <maciej at opencsw.org> wrote:
>> (Apologies, I hit "send" too early. Here's a proofread version.)
>>
>> For example, package consulting is hugely important.  Dissecting a
>> package, analyzing the contents, looking for direct and potential
>> problems, and providing feedback, is an immensely valuable activity.
>>
>>> Choosing the option of "no human release manager", is saying exactly that.
>>> (if one presumes that people are choosing that option, with the
>>> assumption that quality of packages will not suffer as a result)
>>
>> No human release manager means that there is no single person in
>> power.  It does not mean that packages aren't examined by a human.
>
> (I will point out that this is EXACTLY what Peter proposed: no-one
> other than the maintainer would directly examine them before release,
> is his stated goal. But now to address what you wrote:)

The maintainer is a human, isn't it? The maintainers community is formed
by humans. If you read the referred proposal you'll see that the release
is done to experimental and it transits, depending on well defined
rules, such as reported issues, policies &c, to unstable, testing and
then to current.

> How will they ever get examined by someone other than the maintainer, then?
> Please propose something that is actually practical, rather than just ideal.
> In the Real World, how will you ensure that packages are examined "by
> a human[that is not just the maintainer themselves]" before release to
> 'current'?

What's "Real World"? The world according to you? There are other options
such as automated processes supported by non discretionary release
managers. Look at the other distributions models and you'll see that
there is not a serious one having an *unique* person doing discretionary
release management. Anyhow, in my opinion, you assumed this role for a
too long time and that is the reason for which you cannot consider a
situation where you don't have that role. Not having the role of release
manager seems for you the end of your participation to the
community. Aut caesar aut nihil. This is a strange attachment.

--
Peter