[csw-maintainers] Documentation consolidation - wiki, trac, wordpress

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Wed Nov 24 00:44:39 CET 2010

No dia 23 de Novembro de 2010 13:09, Peter FELECAN
<pfelecan at opencsw.org> escreveu:
> I remember that the topic of unifying the different sources of
> information about our community was discussed already. However, nothing
> changed with the exception of the web server content which, being
> WordPress, can be easily enriched and point toward a external wiki,
> currently at wikidot, or, even better, to an internal one. How about
> using the WordPress core features to have all this disseminated
> article articles on our main server?

We could start driving everything to wordpress, although I have to say
that I generally like wikidot more than the wordpress editor,
especially for things like documentation.  I find myself more
effective writing wikidot markup, as opposed to the wysiwyg/html
editor in wordpress.

I thought that we could keep our project external documents and news
on wordpress, while keeping the working maintainer documentation on
the wiki. The wiki also provides an API that Dago already uses.  We
have integrations between wiki and irc - ceeswi sends notifications
about changes on the wiki.

These are the arguments for wiki.  I'm not saying we should definitely
keep on using it.

I think that just the fact that there is more than one place / domain
we keep our material, is not that much of a problem.  Back in the day
when I talked about this, I mentioned that links were assymetric: trac
and wikidot linked to each other and to opencsw.org, but opencsw.org
linked to no others.  Which was a shame, becase opencsw.org was the
main landing page for the project.  But this has changed, and we now
have links between all these sites.

I think that the two important issues are:
- interlinking
- documentation updates

Whether we use wikidot or wordpress is secondary.

What do others think?