[csw-maintainers] Removing old packages from the OS

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Wed Nov 24 15:32:01 CET 2010

No dia 24 de Novembro de 2010 14:05, Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> escreveu:
> Excerpts from Dagobert Michelsen's message of Wed Nov 24 03:13:03 -0500 2010:
>
>> Kidding aside, I rarely remove a CSW package, mostly because it
>> probably has pulled in large dependencies which I am not aware of
>> and removing just a single package doesn't gain much and finding the
>> unnecessary dependencies later is hard.
>
> I'm generally the same.  Every now and then I may remove something via
> pkgrm if I know that it's a leaf node in the dep chain and I was just
> testing it out...

I see.  In a package rename scenario, we don't have a package removal
procedure then.  If we had:

OpenCSW: New packages, CSWfoo depending on CSWlibbar

User: pkgutil -y -i CSWfoo
CSWlibbar gets installed automatically.

OpenCSW: We changed our mind, CSWlibbar is deprecated, CSWlibbaz has
some of these files now

User: pkgutil -u CSWfoo
CSWlibbaz gets installed automatically

Now the user has both CSWlibbar and CSWlibbaz.  You can imagine
scenario, where the presence of CSWlibbar could lead to problems,
especially if we produce more packages under the assumption that
CSWlibbar is gone.

Do you guys think we should have a mechanism that make sure that
CSWlibbar gets removed?