[csw-maintainers] Alternatives without automatic selection

Peter FELECAN pfelecan at opencsw.org
Fri Nov 26 09:36:03 CET 2010

Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> a question arose whetere it is allowed to have two alternatives
> with the same priority. The idea is this: If the priorities are
> the same the package which gets installed first is kept,
> irregardless if other alternatives are installed later.
> One usecase would be e.g. an MTA (like sendmail) which you
> deliberately install and configure. Than, later, some other
> program needs some other mailer which can act as MTA or MUA
> which should not override what you have already configured.
> You can of course always select alternatives manually.
>
> This has the consequence that programs must be installed
> in the same order they were removed as automatic same-prios
> are not persistently saved on alternative-selection.
> This may be necessary, though.
>
> Ideas?

I'm not sure on what you're asking ideas... however, for the order of
installation you have the installation date of the packages which gives
you the order until an unsynchronized update is made; otherwise, the
alternatives system can be enhanced to make persistent the alternative
selection and priorities, if I'm understanding correctly, we now have a
specific alternative system, isn't it? or is still based on the Linux
one?

--
Peter