[csw-maintainers] GAR wrapper (was: Re: Disabling git patching framework in gar)

Sebastian Kayser skayser at opencsw.org
Fri Nov 26 14:27:57 CET 2010

Ben Walton wrote on 26.11.2010 14:07:
> Excerpts from Sebastian Kayser's message of Fri Nov 26 04:41:04 -0500 2010:
>> The patch went into the -noexternals branch (thanks for testing
>> Ben!)  and isn't yet available on the regular GAR branch.
>
> Thanks for letting me know.  I didn't realize there was such a branch,
> but I guess that's part of your mgar work.  :)
>
> Ok, so if people want this for now, give Sebastian's new mgar wrapper
> a try!

As the mgar wrapper hasn't been announced here yet, I am gonna make up
for it now: I've built a small command line wrapper prototype for GAR
(currently called mgar). It aims to be a central interface to all things
GAR and its main three goals are:

1) allow to drop the svn:externals definitions and gar/ symlinks
2) easen everyday work with GAR
3) provide a brief command line usage help

Rationale and setup instructions for the wrapper are documented on the
Wiki [1]. And yes, this required some small tweaks to GAR, thus the
branch. Sorry for the confusion Ben :) The wrapper is in its early
stages, but should already demonstrate its purpose. Feedback welcome.

Sebastian

[1] http://wiki.opencsw.org/gar-wrapper