[csw-maintainers] Alternatives without automatic selection

Peter FELECAN pfelecan at opencsw.org
Sun Nov 28 16:38:02 CET 2010

Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> writes:

> On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 1:06 AM, Peter FELECAN <pfelecan at opencsw.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Would you consider same priorities a bug or a feature?
>>
>> Definitely a feature! You example shows it clearly.
>>

> How is it a feature?
> what if the install order is effectively random? how is that a benefit
> to the user?

You should remember the context, as described by Dag. In my reading,
it's about packages having declared alternatives with the same priority
and the issue of keeping the first installed alternative when
installing, later, other alternatives, with the same priority.

>>If we implement same priority alternatives and the order of installation
>>is rendered persistent
>
> how can we possibly guarantee order of installation?
> That would seem to be up to the user.

Still thinking that this can be a feature, I'll let Dag arguing with
you about what and how.
--
Peter