[csw-maintainers] How to deal with collisions?

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Sun Oct 3 22:35:06 CEST 2010

Hi Peter,

Am 03.10.2010 um 17:37 schrieb Peter Bonivart:
> Most of my collisions are with CSWperldoc, the documentation package
> for Perl. Newer modules than Perl contains include the same man pages
> in the same locations which causes the collisions.
>
> I have no problem with removing the man pages from the module packages
> since most users will never look at them anyway.

The relevant question is: Does CSWperl contains the modules which
CSWperldoc documents and vice versa?

> On the other hand,
> someone who installs CSWperldoc expects to get man pages! So no
> problem there.
>
> Different case with other files though. Below you see a few collisions
> of executables, both the included in CSWperl executable and the one
> from the module package go into /opt/csw/bin.
>
> In this case it's harder to know what to do. If I remove the
> executable from the module package functionality may be affected which
> is worse than a somewhat outdated man page.
>
> What to do? Deliver to another location and using alternatives? Too
> complicated?

I would say so. It would allow us to selectively either just go with
what CSWperl has or go to more modern version module-by-module
allowing fine-grained dependencies.

> Delete every module package in our catalog that causes these problems?
> We're pretty up to date with Perl nowadays so the version difference
> between what's included and what we can deliver in a separate package
> may be marginal. The five collisions below are from only two packages.
>
> bonivart,CSWpmmodcorelist,file-conflict,"/opt/csw/bin/corelist CSWperl
> CSWpmmodcorelist"
> bonivart,CSWperl,file-conflict,"/opt/csw/bin/corelist CSWperl
> CSWpmmodcorelist"
> bonivart,CSWperl,file-conflict,"/opt/csw/bin/cpan2dist CSWperl
> CSWpmcpanplus"
> bonivart,CSWperl,file-conflict,"/opt/csw/bin/cpanp CSWperl
> CSWpmcpanplus"
> bonivart,CSWperl,file-conflict,"/opt/csw/bin/cpanp-run-perl CSWperl
> CSWpmcpanplus"

If the version in the base Perl is current enough I would vote for
dropping
the "other" package (or move to alternatives which would allow an update
at a later time without sacrificing anything).

> This is the 3rd case where the actual modules are colliding:
>
> bonivart,CSWpmtstbldrtester,file-conflict,"/opt/csw/share/perl/csw/
> Test/Builder/Tester.pm
> CSWpmtestsimple CSWpmtstbldrtester"
> bonivart,CSWpmtstbldrtester,file-conflict,"/opt/csw/share/perl/csw/
> Test/Builder/Tester/Color.pm
> CSWpmtestsimple CSWpmtstbldrtester"
>
> Two modules shouldn't use the same path..?

Definitely not. I guess this must be discusses upstream, so maybe
we should file some bugs at rt.cpan.org.