[csw-maintainers] implementation question for CSWalternatives

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Wed Oct 6 02:43:58 CEST 2010

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Mon Oct 04 16:32:48 -0400 2010:

> register with CSWalternatives:
>   Good, because it then becomes easy to figure out if a link was
> created by our alternatives,
>   vs done by hand or something.

What repercussions would this have across an update of CSWalternatives
itself?  Are these links registered in such a fashion that when
they're removed during an upgrade they'd be reinstated correctly
afterwards?

> register with CSWxyz
>   Good, because if it points to a particular implementation for the
> symlink, then when
>   that package is removed, the symlink will automatically get removed.
>   But then again, it should automatically get removed by class action
> script anyway, so...
>   are there any other benefits this way?

I don't care for this as much as placing the ownership with
alternatives itself.  The only real benefit I see is the one you've
noted already.