[csw-maintainers] The minimal version of gnupg

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Thu Oct 21 18:31:29 CEST 2010

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 2:58 PM, Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski
<maciej at opencsw.org> wrote:
> No dia 19 de Outubro de 2010 19:18, Philip Brown <ph....
>>
>> It is supposed to avoid dependancies such as openldap_rt.
>> In theory, even things like the curl_rt, since that itself, also pulls
>> in openldap_rt.
>> And that pulls in sasl. and openssl....
>
> This sounds like a problem stemming from the lack of package
> granularity; the libraries alone don't constitute that much of a
> problem, I'd say.  If openldap_rt depended only on shared libraries
> from sasl, dependencies wouldn't be that prominent.
>> Since gnupg is useful in the core of what we do: (pkg-get and pkgutil
>> both use it), I think it is beneficial to our users to provide a
>> "minimal" package of it, so as to minimize the number of required
>> packages to install, before using our package transfer mechanisms
>> securely.
>
> If that's the goal, we could even embed the minimal gpg in the
> pkg-get/pkgutil packages the same way wget is embedded there.

first of all: pkg-get does not embed wget. it's a pure script only.

secondly: to avoid pulling in sasl, and openssl, is not fixed by
package granularity. we'd have to create separate versions of openldap
that did not use sasl. and I cant see putting together an openldap
version without openssl, that doesnt make much sense.
It makes more sense to trim the dependencies at the "gpg_minimal" level.
gpg is, in principle, a "local file operation only" utility, that got
extended. if all you want is the "local file only" stuff, all those
other libs are just useless junk.