[csw-maintainers] package naming conventions for addons to other packages

Peter FELECAN pfelecan at opencsw.org
Wed Oct 27 13:54:50 CEST 2010

Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> writes:

> Excerpts from Peter FELECAN's message of Wed Oct 27 05:54:01 -0400 2010:
>
>> reality of the underlying package system. However, as so often, that
>> discussion was drown in noise and the status quo is maintained for a
>> dubious aesthetic consideration.
>
> +1 for removing the arbitrary limit.  If the pkg* tools can handle it,
> so should we.

The significant limit as supported by the packaging system:

#             pkginfo tag: NAME
#             CSW concept: SOFTWARENAME
#
#             Text that specifies the package name (maximum length of
# 			  256 ASCII characters).

This must me implemented as decided during this summer technical
summit. I'm asking the community to act on this pragmatically.

Thank you in advance
--
Peter