[csw-maintainers] Easify OpenCSW bootstrapping on a server

Gordon Marler gmarler at opencsw.org
Tue Sep 21 18:20:37 CEST 2010

On 09/21/2010 11:56 AM, Philip Brown wrote:
> On 9/21/10, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> we have come a long way. I just reviewed the descriptions at
>>    http://www.opencsw.org/get-it/
>> and this way too complex for a simple task. It should IMHO
>> better read
>>
>> * pkg-get: pkgadd -d http://mirror.opencsw.org/opencsw/pkg-get.pkg
>>    /opt/csw/bin/pkg-get -i <whateveryoulike>
>> * pkgutil: pkgadd -d http://mirror.opencsw.org/opencsw/pkgutil.pkg
>>    /opt/csw/bin/pkgutil -i <whateveryoulike>
>>
>> After reviewing the discussion I really think the argument
>> of "uglyness" about having two wgets must stand back if it
>> allows just one line of installation.
>>

> It's unclear, but I think you are suggesting to still roll wget
> binaries into pkgutil, but lie and claim ARCH=all.
>
> I would counter that this is unneccessary.
> If the directions are going to presume solaris 10 (since only that
> allows pkgadd over url directly), then it is equally reasonable to
> presume that the user already has wget installed in /usr/sfw/bin, and
> there is no need for pkgutil to bundle wget in the first place.
>
>From site to site, it's never safe to assume that anyone has installed
any of the /{usr,opt}/sfw packages.  Frankly, I've never actually been
to a place that installed them by default.

Expected behavior of installing either pkg-get or pkgutil would be that
it "just works", regardless of what trickery was necessary to bootstrap
that into existence.

Everything *after that* would be expected to "follow the rules" in a
pedantic sort of way.

Seems like bundling both wget binaries in an ARCH=all package is just
the price of doing business to allow for maximum uptake and diminished
confusion for new users.