[csw-maintainers] Easify OpenCSW bootstrapping on a server

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Tue Sep 21 17:56:26 CEST 2010

On 9/21/10, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we have come a long way. I just reviewed the descriptions at
>    http://www.opencsw.org/get-it/
> and this way too complex for a simple task. It should IMHO
> better read
>
> * pkg-get: pkgadd -d http://mirror.opencsw.org/opencsw/pkg-get.pkg
>    /opt/csw/bin/pkg-get -i <whateveryoulike>
> * pkgutil: pkgadd -d http://mirror.opencsw.org/opencsw/pkgutil.pkg
>    /opt/csw/bin/pkgutil -i <whateveryoulike>
>
> After reviewing the discussion I really think the argument
> of "uglyness" about having two wgets must stand back if it
> allows just one line of installation.

It's unclear, but I think you are suggesting to still roll wget
binaries into pkgutil, but lie and claim ARCH=all.

I would counter that this is unneccessary.
If the directions are going to presume solaris 10 (since only that
allows pkgadd over url directly), then it is equally reasonable to
presume that the user already has wget installed in /usr/sfw/bin, and
there is no need for pkgutil to bundle wget in the first place.

Then it will be cleanly ARCH=all , and there is no longer an issue there.