[csw-maintainers] Catalog generation date information in catalog/pkgutil?

James Lee james at opencsw.org
Fri Apr 15 11:15:02 CEST 2011

On 14/04/11, 20:20:53, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> wrote regarding Re:
[csw-maintainers] Catalog generation date information in
catalog/pkgutil?:

> > date=$(grep '^# CreationDate:' catalog)
> > echo ${date#*:}
> >
> > echo $(sed -n -e '/^# CreationDate: /s///p' catalog)

> awk 'NR==1{print $NF;exit}' catalog

Which does?

$ cat catalog
1111
2222
# CreationDate: 2011-04-15 11:02:45
4444
5555
6666

$ awk 'NR==1{print $NF;exit}' catalog
1111

# Here again sed but with quit after print.  I thought I could put all
# on one line with enough back slashes but gave up:

$ sed -n -f /dev/stdin catalog << 'EOF'
/^# CreationDate: /{
s///p
}
EOF
2011-04-15 11:02:45

> > The token "CreationDate" is the same token used by PDF and Postscript
> > DSC [1] [2].  PS DSC is a similar example of how to use comments to
> > embed data in the catalog.

> thats a nice reference. However, going by your examples, either of
> them use ISO8601 format, so in a way, that is an argument NOT to use
> it.

Correct, it wasn't supposed to be.  Focus on the use of DSC to add data
to a file using structured comments. Take the 1 minute PS DSC tutorial,
here is the top of a DSC conforming PostScript file:

%!PS-Adobe-3.0
%%Pages: (atend)
%%BoundingBox: 18 42 593 774
%%HiResBoundingBox: 18.700000 42.300000 593.000000 774.000000
%.....................................
%%Creator: GPL Ghostscript 901 (pswrite)
%%CreationDate: 2011/03/24 14:07:25
%%DocumentData: Clean7Bit
%%LanguageLevel: 2
%%EndComments

And here is a notional catalog head with formalised comments:

#OpenCSW catalog 1.0
#CreationDate: 2010-04-15 09:11:12Z
#Version: 1.2
#Creator: bldcat 2.3