[csw-maintainers] Checking for ".so" in shared library file names

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Wed Aug 3 04:59:24 CEST 2011

Excerpts from Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski's message of Tue Aug 02 09:57:20 -0400 2011:

> Based on mantis bug #4811[1], here's an idea for a new check: all
> shared library must have the ".so" component in the file names. It can
> be in the middle (libfoo.so.1) or at the end (libfoo-1.so), but it
> must be present.  The check would be limited to regular files,
> symlinks would not be checked - it's harder to implement reliably.

It's a reasonable test I think.  For symlinks, you'd need to do a full
resolution and if the target is supposed to end in .so, so should the
link.  Likely a pile of (mostly unnecessary) work for that though.

Thanks