[csw-maintainers] Checking for ".so" in shared library file names

Maciej Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Wed Aug 3 09:44:35 CEST 2011

2011/8/3 Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org>:
> It's a reasonable test I think.  For symlinks, you'd need to do a full
> resolution and if the target is supposed to end in .so, so should the
> link.

To be more precise, if the target is a shared library as indicated by
libmagic, there needs to be an ".so" somewhere in the file name. At
times, you have 2 or 3 levels of symlinks before you reach the regular
file.

> Likely a pile of (mostly unnecessary) work for that though.

One of the problems might be that the symlink target is not available,
e.g. it's not in the package set that checkpkg is examining. In such
case, checkpkg could reach and fetch that information from the
database, but mime metadata are currently not cached in MySQL tables.
It's something I intend to change, but it'll require time, and we have
more urgent problems to solve.

The regular file / shared library check, is easy to implement.