[csw-maintainers] Help for newbie creating a new package

Jesse Reynolds jesse at opencsw.org
Wed Aug 3 09:06:45 CEST 2011

On 3 August 2011 14:29, Jesse Reynolds <jesse at opencsw.org> wrote:

> Hello
>
> Please forgive my dumbass newbie questions...
>
> I understand that I should use 'mgar newpkg' to create a new package
> definition, but it looks like I first need to have created a Makefile, or
> some other type of definitions file, for it says;
>
> unstable10x:~/opencsw/rbgems $ mgar newpkg mysql
> ERROR: No package build description found in the current directory
>
> (I am trying to create a package for the mysql ruby gem.)
>
> Where should I get a template 'package build description' from, and where
> should I place it, before running 'mgar newpkg mysql'?
>
> And then what happens?

In my wanderings I've found the following wiki page:

http://wiki.opencsw.org/project-rubygems

Which says the sqlite gem Makefile is a good staring point for other gem
package Makefiles:

http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/gar/browser/csw/mgar/pkg/rbgems/sqlite3-ruby/trunk/Makefile

And these are part of the rbgems category which has it's Makefile here:

http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/gar/browser/csw/mgar/gar/v2/categories/rbgems/category.mk

But yes, I don't quite get what to do. I tried creating a Makefile and
running 'mgar newpkg gperf' as per one of the examples in the wiki but it
complained ...

unstable9s:~/test/gperf $ mgar fetch
svn: '.' is not a working copy
ERROR: No build system found at /home/jesse/opencsw/.buildsys/

Clearly I'm missing something basic about how, or where, to run mgar.

tia.