[csw-maintainers] [POLICY] Policy-team, policy docs, licenses

Peter FELECAN pfelecan at opencsw.org
Sat Feb 12 20:05:16 CET 2011

Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> writes:

>>> pointing out **the proper way to do things**, in any real life
>>> business organization, particularly a supposedly democratically
>>> founded one.
>>
>> I agree with you that obstructionism is garbage.
>>
>> A business is not a democracy. We are not a business but a community. A
>> community should be a democracy.
>

> Perhaps 'a business' was not quite the right word. but 'a community'
> is not adequate either.
> Maybe you'd like to suggest a better one.

What I always considered is that we form a community of
maintainers. Consequently, I don't have a better description.

> The issue here, is that "OpenCSW" is not merely "a community", but a
> *legal entity*.

What that has to do with how things are decided?

> As such, there is a higher standard to "do things properly".
> I thought a simple way to describe that was as "a business".

Sometimes is good to define a thing by what is not. And we are not
engaged in a business. Because business is:

  2. Any particular occupation or employment engaged in for
     livelihood or gain, as agriculture, trade, art, or a
     profession. "The business of instruction." --Prescott.
     [1913 Webster]

The legal form of OpenCSW is a foundation, i.e. a non-profit
association.

Of course, that doesn't mean that we don't act professionally.

Can you give an example of things that are done improperly, from a
professional point of view,  in our activities?

--
Peter