[csw-maintainers] MySQL shared libraries - how about /opt/csw/lib?

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Sat Jan 1 18:50:47 CET 2011

I'm currently working with MySQL 5.x packages.  I've looked again at
the mysql libraries and noticed that they are placed under
/opt/csw/mysql5/lib/mysql.  For example:

/opt/csw/mysql5/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.so.15

I don't quite see a reason for this library to be there.  We do
compile packages that depend on MySQL libraries, and these binaries
have to embed the right RPATH in order to work properly.  Why do we
first hide these library deep under /opt/csw/mysql5 only to have
trouble finding them later on?  We could simply put these libraries
under /opt/csw/lib:

/opt/csw/lib/libmysqlclient.so.15

The sonames of these libraries are bumped up with every MySQL update:
4.0: libmysqlclient.so.14, 5.0: libmysqlclient.so.15, 5.1:
libmysqlclient.so.16.  There will be no issues related to coexisting
multiple MySQL versions.  Any thoughts on that?  Bad idea?  Good idea?