[csw-maintainers] [policy] files/dirs in /var/opt/csw

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Sun Jan 2 16:08:24 CET 2011

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Sat Jan 01 13:42:56 -0500 2011:

> For programs that normally are machine local, they will want setups
> and configs in machine-local places such as /etc/opt/csw and
> /var/opt/csw

Let's not drag /etc/ into this.

> 1. look in /opt/csw/share/[progname] for docs on configuring the
>    software

We're talking about run-time data here, not config.

> 2. look in /opt/csw/[progprefix] for docs/utils on configuring the
>    software

Ditto.

> 3. run some kind of /opt/csw/(?)/bin/prog-first-setup utility to do
>    the setup.

This point is the only one that applies to the files in /var/opt/csw
discussion.  It also requires either a) an flexible generalized tool
or b) specific support from each package to create and deliver such a
script.

I don't see the first option as very practical as it would be a
collection of corner cases.  The second option could be accomplished
by creating the postinstall script as something like
/opt/csw/bin/csw-first-$prog (not a good name, but works for
example).  The postinstall script could then be something that does
nothing more than chroot to pkg_install_root to run csw-first-$prog.[1]

I'm not sure yet if I find this to be worth the effort.  If the files
are delivered normally via the package (no special handling), an admin
of a shared /opt/csw site could just as easily rsync the (already
namespaced) /var/opt/csw to newly minted boxes too.

Thanks
-Ben

[1] If something like this happens, I think it's important to have all
    scripts use the same prefix in a manner similar to the rest of the
    solaris admin tools. (be*, lu*, etc)