[csw-maintainers] [policy] files/dirs in /var/opt/csw

Peter FELECAN pfelecan at opencsw.org
Sat Jan 1 18:59:01 CET 2011

Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> writes:

> Since nobody can point at the original discussion thread where this
> 'policy' was agreed upon, I'm opening a new discussion for it.
>
> Currently, going forward, Phil is saying that packages shipping
> _files_ in /var/opt/csw will be blocked from release.  It should be
> noted that _directories_ are ok.  The rationale on this is that 'even
> a first level tech support could create directories if required.'
>
> The current backing decision on not shipping files in /var/opt/csw is
> centred around our support of a shared /opt/csw.  Please frame the
> discussion around this from the viewpoint of a shared /opt/csw as we
> have yet to slay that dragon.
>
> So: Who's for, who's against and why do you hold this position?

If we can provide directories then files are alright also.

I understand the issue with a shared /opt/csw but let me ask before
that: is the support of a shared /opt/csw an established policy by
itself? If yes, then we need:

1. to say this explicitly in our policies with all the strings and
   bells needed by such an use case.

2. a standardized mechanism to propagate all the stuff created by our
   packages on the NFS client's /var/opt/csw.

Finally, I agree that this last points should be discussed in a separate
policy thread by itself and, for the moment, for the policy in
discussion, I'm not yet decided.

P.S. Looking at your subject line, you propose for the time being to
     discuss policies on this list and to mark the related threads with
     the [policy] tag.

--
Peter