[csw-maintainers] [policy] files/dirs in /var/opt/csw

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Sat Jan 1 19:27:55 CET 2011

On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 9:59 AM, Peter FELECAN <pfelecan at opencsw.org> wrote:
> If we can provide directories then files are alright also.

I dont see how that follows.
directories are almost zero-content. They can be recreated at will
with zero special knowlege.
Whereas files actually have unique content, so they are impossible to
recreate, without special knowlege of the proper contents.

> 1. to say this explicitly in our policies with all the strings and
>   bells needed by such an use case.
>
> 2. a standardized mechanism to propagate all the stuff created by our
>   packages on the NFS client's /var/opt/csw.

I think these are excellent ideas.

To some degree, we do have 'use cases' for #1 documented, but they are
a bit more geared towards user perspective, and I presume you mean
more from a maintainer perspective.