[csw-maintainers] Unifying cvs and cvs_feature?

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Mon Jan 17 13:02:55 CET 2011

Hi Phil,

Am 14.01.2011 um 19:14 schrieb Philip Brown:
> On 1/14/11, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> at the moment we have two CVS packages:
>>
>>  cvs         1.11.23 in /opt/csw
>>  cvs_feature 1.12.13 in /opt/csw/cvs_feature
>>
>> I did a brief search on the web if there is a compelling reason to
>> ship those two different version but have found no real indication.
>> As I am no hardcode user I would like to ask if anyone has a strong
>> opinion on keeping these two separate. I have already respun cvs
>> packages at
>>  http://buildfarm.opencsw.org/experimental.html#cvs
>> where cvs will be updated to 1.12.13 and /opt/csw/cvs_feature is
>> a link to "." making sure 3rd party scripts depending on
>> CSWcvs-feature won't break.
>
> ermm.. would you post more details on how you plan to unify them please?

Sure.

> I for one, dont understand the ramifications of what  you wrote above.

Me neither, that's why I am asking.

> what is the significance of the symlink?

"cvs" is in /opt/csw, "cvs feature" is in /opt/csw/cvs-feature/. Unifying
both in /opt/csw makes /opt/csw/cvs-feature obsolete and hence makes that
one a link so /opt/csw/cvs-feature/bin/cvs will be
  /opt/csw/(cvs-features -> .)/bin/cvs

> And what if any, is "lost"?

"stable" would be no longer available.

> one would presume that "cvs_feature".. has more features. Is this no
> longer true?
> You said no "compelling" reason. but you dont say they are identical, either.

Yes. From the release notes of "feature":
> Feature CVS 1.12.13 has been released. Feature releases contain new features as well as all the bug fixes from the stable releases. This version fixes two security vulnerabilities in the zlib compression libraries (see CERT vulnerabilities advisories #238678 & #680620 for more info), several issues involving potential data-loss on heavily loaded systems, some minor potential crashes, hangs, and several minor annoyances in CVS client and server behavior.
>
> This release also adds a handful of new features, mostly providing expanded server configurability, but including repair of a major Windows client issue that has prevented the Windows client from accessing remote repositories for several feature releases and fixes for some minor cvs watch bugs.
>
> We recommend this upgrade for all CVS clients and servers already running the feature release and for those who simply like to stay on the cutting edge!

It sounds to me that "cvs stable" is long outdated and of no practical
use as all fixes go to "feature".