[csw-maintainers] [csw-pkgsubmissions] yaz

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Tue Jan 18 22:09:58 CET 2011

On 1/18/11, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:

> Phil, your constant nagging about documentation is a real PITA.
> Fixing these takes an amount of time (probably on every release)
> which has no resemblance to the main package. We have A TON of
> really outdated, not packaged PRIO-1 stuff. Do you really think
> we should focus on documentation instead of having e.g. an updated
> Kerberos or PHP? Fixing doc issues in all packages takes a regular
> amount of time in terms of *hours* I don't have for version
> bumps.

I think you are rather exaggerating.
For the most recent email I sent off about..  oh whatever it was..
editing the info file, and doing the gar "make a patch" thing, should
be much much less than "hours".
it should in fact, be less than a single hour. More like 20 minutes,tops.

Wasnt the whole point of having the auto-git stuff in gar, to make
small patches like that trivial?

> For a 100% package we should fix it, right. But we are not
> at 99%. Or 95%. Or even 90%. We are more at 75%. Focusing on
> docs is IMHO the wrong priority.

So, in your opinion, it's better to have 100 packages at 80%
"correctness", than  80 packages at 100% "correctness".

I happen to have the opposite opinion. Because if we dont fix up those
packages now, they probably never will get fixed.
But if we fix up "the 80" *now*, then we have our hands clean to get
the other 20 clean later on.

If all this is "too much work for you right now", Dago, why dont you
just slow down, and do fewer packages at a time?