[csw-maintainers] moving forward

Maciej Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Wed Jul 13 11:32:47 CEST 2011

2011/7/5 Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org>:
> With Phil gone, we're left without immediate mirror pushing until we
> sort out an interim solution.  Ihsan, Maciej and I are tossing around
> a few ideas for how best to proceed, but if you have suggestions,
> please share them.
>
> This will be a big shift for us, but I'd like to make it as smooth as
> possible...

Here is a sketch of a plan:

We will move the unstable as it is to unstable-poc and create a new
empty unstable. We will then synchronize the new unstable from
current. Packages uploaded from csw-upload-pkg will be for now
periodically moved to current by a designated person until automation
arrives. We will investigate the old scripts that used to drive the
website updates. We will work on an automatic website and mantis
integration solution. If using the old scripts is too hard, we will
allow mantis to desynchronize, but we will keep on releasing packages
to unstable and current.

It would be good to avoid re-uploading all the packages to unstable.
I can use the existing catalog integration tool to do that.

To recap:

Before:
current
unstable → current
stable

After:
current → testing
testing (a snapshot of current, will receive manual updates for now)
unstable (generated from the db, driven by csw-upload-pkg)
stable

An alternative after:
current → unstable
unstable (generated from the db, driven by csw-upload-pkg)
stable

Thoughts?