[csw-maintainers] Assessing catalog quality

Maciej Bliziński maciej.blizinski at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 10:06:26 CEST 2011

Em 05/07/2011 02:42, "Ben Walton" <bwalton at opencsw.org> escreveu:

> Excerpts from Trygve Laugstøl's message of Sun Jun 26 06:04:38 -0400 2011:
>
> > Number of overrides is one thing that comes to mind.
>
> While I agree that this is something to keep an eye on, there would
> need to be some sort of weighting factor used as judicious use of
> overrides can improve quality.
>
> Things to consider (possibly fictional error tags):
>
> CHECKPKG_OVERRIDE_CSWfoo += bad-path|/var/mypkg
> vs
> CHECKPKG_OVERRIDE_CSWfoo += bad-path
>
> The first overrides a single bad path but the second overrides every
> bad path...same number of overrides, but (possibly) very different
> package quality.
>
> Also, overriding /usr/local references in share/doc/foo/ isn't as bad
> as putting sparc binaries in an i386 package, etc...
>
> Weighting the tags would help, but that's a big job in and of
> itself...is it worthwhile for this?

Different overrides mean different things. We could monitor selected
overrides.

As far as specific / nonspecific overrides, it would be a good enough
approximation to tag on a per package basis: X packages with the foo-bar
override, specific or not, with multiple instances or not.

To get started, we could monitor and plot some metrics without assigning any
specific meaning or a interpretation to them just yet. When more data come
in, the interpretation will be easier.