[csw-maintainers] An end to IRC back-biting ?

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Sat Jun 11 06:22:17 CEST 2011

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 6:09 PM, Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Excerpts from Peter Bonivart's message of Wed Jun 08 15:28:12 -0400 2011:
>
> Hi Peter,
>
>> To me, that's what those comments were about, that you yourself made
>> the case for us. You demonstrated why the current system is bad.
>
> And importantly, Maciej demonstrated how the new system can work
> well. :)

So, the new system is "Maciej personally checks everyone's packages"?
Great, I'm all for that! :)

Otherwise, I dont see how this demonstrates that in the new system,
all packages are going to be looked at by a second party.
That was the missing element here.

For the record.. I did see an error about "unneeded dependancy"
*before* I submitted it.
Unfortunately, I incorrectly judged it a false error, so did the
equivalent of a override in gar.
If I used gar, I would have done the same thing, so no, gar would not
have magically fixed this.

If anything, this incident shows *more strongly*, the benefit of
having at least 2 humans carefully look at a package before release.

The "new system" does not in any way ensure that.
I firmly believe that it will shepherd in the exact opposite: a time
when the majority of packages will be released with only one person
ever having looked at them.
This is a bad thing.