[csw-maintainers] oracle raises the operating system maintenance by a factor of 6, solaris will be history soon?

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Sun Jun 12 03:58:52 CEST 2011

Excerpts from rupert THURNER's message of Sat Jun 11 00:45:43 -0400 2011:

Hi Rupert,

> there are rumors that oracle raises the maintenance price for
> solaris by a factor of 6, is this true? do you feel some impact for
> the usage of solaris by this or not yet?

I hadn't heard this, but even without altering current pricing,
they're making solaris too expensive for us.  Our campus license is
being extended at the current price so we're registering systems.
After a cut-off date, no new systems will be eligible for this and
we'll pay 'market' rates which for us will be a deal breaker.

Thanks