[csw-maintainers] proposal

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Sun Jun 19 04:20:14 CEST 2011

Excerpts from rupert THURNER's message of Sat Jun 18 16:15:26 -0400 2011:

Hi Rupert,

> this is the first thing people see if they come to the opencsw wiki
> ... and i am really wondering if opencsw or the server operator has
> some financial benefit? if not, i would strongly advocate to switch
> this off. if its built into the wiki software, then switch to a
> reasonable wiki, like http://moinmo.in or mediawiki, or redmine, or
> whatever.

Well, I don't know all of the original considerations, but wikidot has
provided a good service, I think.  We're on the free plan[1] where we
get no control of the ads.

We could host our own, I guess.  I'm not sure why we didn't, but I
suspect it's partially because nobody wanted to tend one of the wiki
packages which see a fairly constant update requirement.  I don't have
much against the ads from wikidot myself as they need to make money
and they're giving us a free service.  (I barely notice ads on pages
these days unless they're big, singing, dancing, spinning and
bouncing.)

Does an adblock plugin squash this?

Thanks
-Ben