[csw-maintainers] proposal

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Sun Jun 19 13:34:25 CEST 2011

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Sat Jun 18 17:22:31 -0400 2011:

> When member(s) of the board, attempt to completely change the way
> opencsw operates, and they are at the same time *specfiically*
> attempting to avoid a formal vote while doing so, there is something
> extremely wrong.

No avoidance here.  If there isn't 50% support up front, the vote will
be run.  It can be run anyway although I'd personally see it as
wasting time if a majority clearly supports the change in an open,
documented fashion.  (I don't expect that this will actually happen
and fully expect to run a ballot bin.)

> >> I would like to put forward an amendment to the proposal. Are you
> >> going to disallow any kind of formal *on-list* amendment
> >> mechanism?
> >
> > Please provide your amendment for public review and get the
> > support of every currently signed member.  Modifications without
> > the support of everyone that has already signed off on the current
> > form might invalidate their support, thus 100% approval for the
> > change.
>
> This is a ludicrous methodology. But now it seems clear your real
> reason for getting people to "sign" it. You making the barrier to
> suggest changes impossible to overcome.

Say for a minute that there were no names undersigning the proposal.
There would still be multiple people that worked on it and put it
forward.  Do you feel that you have some intrinsic right to be able to
alter this proposal?  I think it would be ludicrous to not hold your
changes until it meets the support of the people that put forward the
original.

Go ahead and propose your changes on the list.  Do you not think
they'll be accepted by the people that have worked on the current
proposal?  Why is that?  Is it because the changes would run counter
to the meat of the current proposal?  If so, why would you expect a
change like that to be accepted?  If not, why are you worried about
getting the support of the current set of authors?

Thanks