[csw-maintainers] experimental: subversion --> git, mercurial

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Sat Jun 25 15:24:52 CEST 2011

Excerpts from rupert THURNER's message of Sat Jun 25 06:58:12 -0400 2011:

Hi Rupert,

> 1.  a short description how i set up my environment so i can
> deliver, say mercurial. currently i do check out the whole mgar
> tree, the externals are replaced with symbolic links. what would be
> the best approach if gar is in git?
>
> cd ~
> pkg=mercurial
> mkdir git-experiment
> cd git-experiment
> git clone https://rthurner@github.com/opencsw/gar.git gar
> git svn clone
> https://gar.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/gar/csw/mgar/pkg/${pkg} ${pkg}
> ln -s ${pkg}/trunk/gar gar

I think this would become:

mgar init (maybe re-init to help with svn -> git)

That would wrap the two steps that it currently does which are:
svn co gar/mgar -> ~/opencsw/.builsys/
svn co gar/pkg -> ~/opencsw/

Replacing them with:
git clone gar/mgar -> ...
svn co gar/pkg -> ...

You would then use mgar as you currently do (or if you're still doing
the svn/gmake manually, those would remain the same for the time
being.

> 2. how would i create a new package stub using git?

This would (assuming we only use git/hg for that gar code and not the
whole package tree) be the same.  You'd do:

cd ~/opencsw
gmake newpkg-foo

The whole idea of transitioning the gar code to something other than
svn is made immensely easier by having it wrapped in mgar.

Thanks