[csw-maintainers] experimental: subversion --> git, mercurial

rupert THURNER rupert at opencsw.org
Sat Jun 25 16:50:20 CEST 2011

On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 15:24, Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> wrote:

> Excerpts from rupert THURNER's message of Sat Jun 25 06:58:12 -0400 2011:
>
> Hi Rupert,
>
> > 1.  a short description how i set up my environment so i can
> > deliver, say mercurial. currently i do check out the whole mgar
> > tree, the externals are replaced with symbolic links. what would be
> > the best approach if gar is in git?
> >
> > cd ~
> > pkg=mercurial
> > mkdir git-experiment
> > cd git-experiment
> > git clone https://rthurner@github.com/opencsw/gar.git gar
> > git svn clone
> > https://gar.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/gar/csw/mgar/pkg/${pkg} ${pkg}
> > ln -s ${pkg}/trunk/gar gar
>
> I think this would become:
>
> mgar init (maybe re-init to help with svn -> git)

this seems not to work yet ...

rupert at login:~/git-ben
$ mgar init mercurial
-bash: mgar: command not found

rupert at unstable9s:~/git-ben
$ mgar
bash: mgar: command not found

That would wrap the two steps that it currently does which are:
> svn co gar/mgar -> ~/opencsw/.builsys/
> svn co gar/pkg -> ~/opencsw/
>
> Replacing them with:
> git clone gar/mgar -> ...
> svn co gar/pkg -> ...
>
> You would then use mgar as you currently do (or if you're still doing
> the svn/gmake manually, those would remain the same for the time
> being.
>
> > 2. how would i create a new package stub using git?
>
> This would (assuming we only use git/hg for that gar code and not the
> whole package tree) be the same.  You'd do:
>
> cd ~/opencsw
> gmake newpkg-foo
>
> The whole idea of transitioning the gar code to something other than
> svn is made immensely easier by having it wrapped in mgar.
>
> i created, as experiment, https://github.com/opencsw/mercurial, and i
tried to write a description which one could execute with the existing
buildserver installation.  would this be ok like this:
https://github.com/opencsw/gar/wiki/move-a-package-from-sourceforge.subversion-to-github.opencsw
 ?

rupert.