[csw-maintainers] experimental: subversion --> git, mercurial

Sebastian Kayser skayser at opencsw.org
Sun Jun 26 20:03:58 CEST 2011

* Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Excerpts from Sebastian Kayser's message of Sun Jun 26 10:47:57 -0400 2011:
>
> > The operations above are one off, right? To add some further
> > figures, a git clone of the full repo takes ~2mins for me, git log
> > . in a package directory ~12 seconds.
>
> The initial price of a clone will be the heaviest as only new
> references are transferred after that.  2 minutes isn't that bad for a
> large repo like the package tree.

Sorry, I'll have to revert my 2 minute clone estimate, that was on my
vserver with a very thick uplink. Re-tried on my home server (~100
KiB/s), clone took about 20mins. :/

> Was the log operation on a local or network mounted filesystem?  What
> about a subsequent run of the same operation (cold vs hot cache)?

Local file system, same result on subsequent runs (git 1.4.4.4). On my
server at home (git 1.7.5.4) the log operation on a directory is faster
and takes ~2 seconds (both for initial and subsequent runs).

Sebastian