[csw-maintainers] plan for _stub packages

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Mon Mar 28 22:18:36 CEST 2011

Please read: Wanted to toss  this out to other maintainers, before we
officially start doing it, in about a day or so.

Ben and I have been chatting about our use of _stub packages.

So far, we have come to an agreement that the best thing to do as far
as registering them, would seem to be, to NOT register them.

This means, what will happen will be:

When you upload a _stub package for release, the registration process
will attempt to look at the "obsolete" file, if present.
   It will then DEREGISTER from our web databases, both the sub
package itself, and any packages referenced by the "obsolete" file.

This is in order to free up the filename space, for the presumed new,
"proper" package that will most likely contain those files.

This is beneficial for us for multiple reasons; one of which being
that we will avoid having literally hundreds of "xxx_stub" packages
littering up mantis, etc.