[csw-maintainers] plan for _stub packages

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Mon Mar 28 23:40:15 CEST 2011

This is incorrect...I'll send a better reply from home, but the obsolete file lists the packages that supersede the one being marked obsolete. Only the package marked obsolete should be deregistered. The others remain valid.

Thanks
-Ben

Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> wrote:

Please read: Wanted to toss this out to other maintainers, before we officially start doing it, in about a day or so. Ben and I have been chatting about our use of _stub packages. So far, we have come to an agreement that the best thing to do as far as registering them, would seem to be, to NOT register them. This means, what will happen will be: When you upload a _stub package for release, the registration process will attempt to look at the "obsolete" file, if present. It will then DEREGISTER from our web databases, both the sub package itself, and any packages referenced by the "obsolete" file. This is in order to free up the filename space, for the presumed new, "proper" package that will most likely contain those files. This is beneficial for us for multiple reasons; one of which being that we will avoid having literally hundreds of "xxx_stub" packages littering up mantis, etc._____________________________________________