[csw-maintainers] introducing csw-upload-pkg

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Thu May 12 01:55:35 CEST 2011

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 9:41 AM, Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Tue May 10 12:01:13 -0400 2011:
>
>> Not every issue is worth voting about. But some are. As such, I
>> think there should be some kind of official trigger for the
>> dissenting voice(s) to be able to start a vote on a policy/release
>> toolchain issue.
>
> This is all well and good, but it's a tangential issue to what we're
> proposing here.  Replacing a human release manager with csw-upload-pkg
> does not strictly require changes to other day-to-day activities aside
> from how packages are pushed for release.  It's a change in workflow.
>
> Policy discussions, resolutions and changes to checkpkg to reflect the
> former can happen as they have been or we can implement stricter
> controls (sob/ab, etc).  I'm not against standardizing how changes
> happen, but it's a side issue.

What you seem to be saying is,

"Hey, its time to change the workflow. Lets not bother thinking about
the *impact* of changing the workflow, lets just go ahead and change
it! "
This is a poor "policy workflow", in and of itself.

Coincidentally, the parts that you dont seem to think are worth
discussing BEFORE the change, are the parts that put you and maciej
directly in charge of the workflow AFTER the change.
AND, coincidentally, you and maciej will be the ones who will control
any later avenues of complaint or adjustment against the "workflow"
once it is implemented.

In legal, and corporate circles, this is what is known as a "conflict
of interest".