[csw-maintainers] introducing csw-upload-pkg

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Sun May 15 20:56:53 CEST 2011

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Wed May 11 19:55:35 -0400 2011:

> AND, coincidentally, you and maciej will be the ones who will
> control any later avenues of complaint or adjustment against the
> "workflow" once it is implemented.

Not Ihsan too?  Please don't mistake this as something that only
Maciej and I are backing.  There is a large group of active
maintainers that have provided input to this already.

> In legal, and corporate circles, this is what is known as a
> "conflict of interest".

If you consider this change a conflict of interest, you must see the
irony in the current release manager arguing for status quo. :)

I don't see the conflict here.  I'm pushing for what I believe to be a
better process.  As things stand currently, there is a single person
capable of preventing package release.  This is done far too often for
reasons other than policy.  It is inconsistent.  It is handled by
closed tools and processes.

When many people want things a certain way but one doesn't and that
one can block packages, there is a glaring deficiency.  We're
addressing this problem.

csw-upload-pkg levels the playing field.  As Dago noted, it changes
where QA is applied.  It removes the bottle neck and forces the QA
team to play by the same rules as everyone else.

Thanks