[csw-maintainers] can I use gcc instead of /opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc ?

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Fri May 20 18:44:30 CEST 2011

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 9:31 AM, John Ellson <ellson at opencsw.org> wrote:
> I'm having a hard time getting graphviz-2.28 to build on current9s.
>
> The latest problem is with installed perl headers, outside of my ability
> to fix:

This raises a couple of questions, which are directly related to your
issue, and anyone else using perl modules:

1. Did we stop supporting sun cc, for perl modules?
2. If not, then isnt this clearly a bug, that needs to be fixed by the
appropriate maintainer?

More general answer to you:

> My guess is that I won't get this problem if I build with gcc, instead
> of /opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc
>
> Is that permitted for OpenCSW builds?

It's okay, so long as sun cc has been show to be an unreasonable
hinderance to compiling.
In this case, it's probably best to wait for that installed package to
get fixed, if it's going to be fixed.