[csw-maintainers] Fwd: complicated build, subversion client

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Tue May 31 02:25:16 CEST 2011

Excerpts from rupert THURNER's message of Mon May 30 16:08:35 -0400 2011:

Hi Rupert,

> You could separate out svnserve and other repository administration
> *binaries* (svnadmin, svnlook, svndumpfilter) into a separate
> package.

This sounds like a good idea.  I've seen a few bug requests for it.

> With the svn libraries it's a different story. You will want all of
> them on both the client and server. This means you'll need most (and
> probably all) dependencies on both sides.

This would be a good subversion-common package.  Both the server and
client packages could then depend on it.

> I suppose the LDAP dependecy comes from berkeley DB?  Subversion has
> no direct dependency on LDAP.

Does checkpkg tell you it's a surplus dep?  If so, you could just drop
it.  It may be pulled in via something else and not actually be
required.  I haven't looked at it though.

> You could also take a look at how the Debian packages for Subversion
> split things up. They probably have things split up as much as
> reasonably possible.

It looks like a fairly monolithic setup there.

> The files that don't compile with SUN's cc are generated by SWIG.
> Can you figure out if it's possible to make SWIG generate code that
> compiles with gcc as well as Sun's cc? If so we might be able to fix
> your problem by changing the way we generate these files.

Might John's updated swig packages alleviate this?

> http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/gar/browser/csw/mgar/pkg/subversion/trunk/files/0001-make-subversion-sysconfigdir-as-it-should-be-for-csw.patch
>
> That patch looks fine. If there is a pre-processor macro that
> identifies a CWS build we could also include this change upstream
> wrapped in the right #ifdef.

Aside from the fact that this should be handled by autoconf (or
whatever build system they're using) instead of the way they're doing
it, I agree that the current patch shouldn't be too onerous to
support.  If they use autoconf and you'd like a hand building a patch
for that to make this sane, let me know.

> http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/gar/browser/csw/mgar/pkg/subversion/trunk/files/fixme.sh
>
> This I don't really understand.

This may be replaceable by the 'STRIP_LIBTOOL = 1' capability that
Mike introduced to GAR, but I'm not sure.

> SVN should probably add a new configure script parameter to take
> away the need to patch this.

Agreed.

> Note that as of Subversion 1.7 the build system will always use the
> libtool program that was used to compile APR. This was done so we
> could remove the configure script code for finding the right libtool
> and let APR sort this out for us instead.

This should be a good change overall, I think.  That will likely mean
that it uses /opt/csw/bin/libtool (or whatever).  It may be possible
that the version of libtool changes between subversion releases though
since it won't be in lockstep with apr.

> I suppose the above is something with the fixme.sh gone wrong?
> I've never seen an error like this.

I'd suspect the same thing.

Hopefully some of my feedback is useful too.

Thanks