[csw-maintainers] catalog fun

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Fri Sep 2 05:05:22 CEST 2011

Hi All,

I'm gradually weeding out the error cases in detecting catalog changes
in order to generate updates for mantis and the web db.  Here's an
interesting case I found tonight (trimmed to illustrate the point):

Old catalog:

perl/CSWperl
pm_dbd_sqlite/CSWpm-dbd-sqlite -> CSWperl, CSWpmdbi
pm_dbi_stub/CSWpmdbi -> CSWperl, CSWpm-dbi
pm_dbi/CSWpm-dbi -> CSWperl

New catalog:

perl/CSWperl
pm_dbd_sqlite/CSWpm-dbd-sqlite -> CSWperl,CSWpmdbi
pm_dbi2/CSWpmdbi -> CSWperl, CSWpm-dbi
pm_dbi/CSWpm-dbi -> CSWperl

This is a technically valid catalog as all dependencies are met
(chkcat should be happy).  I'm currently detecting this as a "Silent
Name Change."  This is an instance of 'un-stubbing' which I think
should be considered an error.  What do others think?

In this specific case, was the name change intentional?  It looks a
bit funny to me to start calling CSWpmdbi pm_dbi2 (version number is
1.616) all of a sudden after stubbing it out.  Can someone provide
insight on this?

Thanks