[csw-maintainers] Notes on pkgutil vs. pkg-get

Jeffery Small jeff at cjsa.com
Wed Apr 11 14:54:11 CEST 2012

Someone asked for anything I learned while comparing pkgutil to pkg-get.
Here are a few brief notes for whatever it use it may be.

1)  pkg-get had a -S (sync) option that does not exists in pkgutil.
    However, the -f (force) option probably does the same thing, and
    hopefully better.  There is a -S option that can be assigned as part
    of pkgaddopts to suppress printing of the license files.  I don't
    know if this will cause anyone any problems.  It should probably be
    documented somewhere.

2)  The pkgutil naming of the catalog and descriptions files is quite
    different from pkg-get.  Additionally, the new catalog file has the
    new hash and PGP signature lines at the head and the tail.  Most of
    these lines are not typical "#" comment lines.  Therefore, pkg-get
    routines that look for these files and parse the content will not
    work without some modification.

3)  The "-s url" option in pkg-get is now "-t url".

Those were the major changes that I noticed.  By the way, when using the
-f option to roll back a package, let's say from unstable to testing, will
this also automatically roll back all dependencies as well?  However this
works, it would be good to document it fully so that there is no question
as to what you are doing when using it.

I hope this info is of some help.

Regards,
--
Jeff

C. Jeffery Small           CJSA LLC                       206-232-3338
jeff at cjsa.com              7000 E Mercer Way, Mercer Island, WA  98040