[csw-maintainers] Solaris 10 revision suppport?

Jan Holzhueter jh at opencsw.org
Mon Apr 30 13:34:39 CEST 2012

Hi

Am 30.04.12 13:21, schrieb James Lee:
> What is the CSW support for the revisions of Solaris 10?
>
> This page:
>     http://www.opencsw.org/manual/for-administrators/introduction.html
>
> says "Solaris 10 is fully supported." which isn't true as CSWorbit2
> 2.14.19,REV=2011.12.08 doesn't work with Solaris 10U4.  Either we
> consider this a bug and fix it or CSW is only supported on certain
> revisions of Solaris 10, either way I'm happy but if taking the latter it
> would help to explain this better, that is at a minimum change the above
> web page.

yes this needs a fix. I have it still on my agenda to write something :)
Didn't have the time yet.

> ** A Failure **
>
> $ soffice
> ld.so.1: soffice.bin: fatal: libresolv.so.2: version `SUNW_2.2.2' not
> found (required by file /opt/csw/lib/sparcv8/libORBit-2.so.0)
> ld.so.1: soffice.bin: fatal: libresolv.so.2: open failed: No such file or
> directory
> ld.so.1: soffice.bin: fatal: relocation error: file
> /opt/csw/openoffice.org/program/../basis-link/program/ucpgvfs1.uno.so:
> symbol gnome_vfs_initialized: referenced symbol not found
> Killed
>

> This problem is not limited to CSWorbit2 but potentially affects any
> linkage to versioned symbols present on the build machines but not on the
> client's OS.
>

> ** Explanation **
>
> libresolv.so.2 has versioned symbols and libORBit-2.so.0 requires
> version SUNW_2.2.2 which is not present in Solaris 10U4.  U6 works.  I
> don't have quick access to U5, maybe someone will please check U5.

To see when which version was introduced:

https://github.com/illumos/illumos-gate/blob/master/usr/src/lib/libresolv2/common/mapfile-vers

src.opensolaris is down atm.

> ** Solutions **
>
> 1. Link with a mapfile and select a universal version.  This means users
> don't take advantage of whatever a new version brings.

Do you need a map file?
We have the same problem with samba atm. But with libc version.

If you don't use the functions which are provided by the version.
In this case libresolve

pvs -ds -N SUNW_2.2.2  /usr/lib/libresolv.so.2 |more
      SUNW_2.2.2:
                inet_aton;
        SUNW_2.2.1:
                res_ndestroy;

would the linker link to older version?
I have not found any docs on that.

If it does the best way would be if it's auto* test (as in the samba
case) to hack it to fail the test for it.

> 3. Build on a low rev machine.  Probably not acceptable, eg, cc 12.3
> might not run.

Yes this will not work. As we are on update 9 on the buildfarm.

> 4. Clients update Solaris.  For this to be acceptable do the following:
>  + Change support statement in the user guide
This will happen.

>  + packages that need specific updates or patches use baulking
>    checkinstall scripts.
We can't distribute the patches.

>  + (suggestion) pkgutil to check the OS update in addition to
>    checkinstall.   checkinstall is the correct place but pkgutil can
>    provides early detections and prevent a failed partial update.

probably a good idea.

Greetings
Jan