[csw-maintainers] Patch management with Quilt

Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Sun Jan 8 19:56:49 CET 2012

Hello maintainers,

Since we have automatic git integration in GAR builds, writing patches
has become easier. However, there are still some wrinkles, for example
there's no easy way to update a patch. We either need to create
layered patches, or manually remove the patch, apply it off-gar,
modify, and then re-create it.

There is a piece of software which can maintain a mapping between
patch files and upstream source files. It's called Quilt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quilt_(software)

There's Debian-specific documentation:

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/modify.en.html

Generally, the interaction with quilt goes like this:

1. Create me a new patch placeholder, called foo (quilt new foo)
2. Patch foo will modify file src/bar.c (quilt add src/bar.c)
3. Edit the file
4. Update the patch with my modifications (quilt refresh)
5. Record my comments on the patch (quilt header -e)

When you want to modify a patch, you go edit the sources again, and
call quilt refresh. Quilt stores its own state in a directory called
".pc".

Does anyone else have experience with quilt?