[csw-maintainers] Important GAR change regarding BUILD64

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Mon Jan 23 15:16:17 CET 2012

Fellow maintainers,

to get a more consistent naming of variables I have adjusted the meaning of BUILD64
to be more intutitive (hopefully for the last time!):

Prior to r14023 it meant "also build 64 bit and put binaries in the package with
automatic isaexec, unless NOISAEXEC = 1 is given".

Starting from r14023 it meant "also build 64 bit, but do not use ISAEXEC and put
only libraries in the package. Add ISAEXEC = 1 if you want isaexec, and
EXTRA_MERGE_DIRS_isa-extra = $(bindir) if you want 64 bit binaries in your package".

With the current commit r16894 it means "build 64 bit binaries and libraries and
put them in the package. Put only 64 bit libraries in the package if
BUILD64_LIBS_ONLY = 1 is given. Use isaexec only if ISAEXEC = 1 is given.".

You can browse the whole commit here:
  http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/gar/changeset/16894

In addition to the necessary GAR change I updated the Makefiles in pkg/*/trunk and
pkg/*/*/trunk to adjust for the new meaning with the following rules:

1. If BUILD64 = 1 was in the Makefile *without* ISAEXEC and MERGE_DIRS then replace it
   with BUILD64_LIBS_ONLY.

2. If BUILD64 = 1 was in the Makefile *with* MERGE_DIRS set to $(libdir) replace it
   with BUILD64_LIBS_ONLY and remove MERGE_DIRS.

3. If BUILD64 = 1 was in the Makefile *with* MERGE_DIRS adding $(bindir) or ISAEXEC = 1
   leave the Makefile as is. If there is just the default modulation MERGE_DIRS can
   be removed.

I have tested some recipes but due to the large number (> 300) I cannot verify every
single build. Please have an extra eye if you rebuild or update a package that has
64 bit enabled and drop a note if you see anything strange.