[csw-maintainers] Rewiring dependencies

Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Thu Jan 26 16:59:37 CET 2012

When I look at our dependency graphs (thanks, Dago!), I see that we
have a lot of dependency rewiring to do.

http://buildfarm.opencsw.org/cgi-bin/depgraph?pkg=cups

But the process itself is quite tedious: you need to rebuild the
package, let checkpkg run, then see the list of surplus-dependency
errors (for old packages) and dependency-missing. Then you need to
read through that, hunt down all the relevant lines in the Makefile,
correct them, run mgar repackage, rinse, repeat.

We already have machinery capable of figuring out which binary will
link against which. What if we made GAR call out to a utility which
would detect dependencies caused by shared libraries, and
automatically add them?