[csw-maintainers] Rewiring dependencies

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Thu Jan 26 17:44:31 CET 2012

Hi Maciej,

Am 26.01.2012 um 16:59 schrieb Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński:
> When I look at our dependency graphs (thanks, Dago!), I see that we
> have a lot of dependency rewiring to do.
>
> http://buildfarm.opencsw.org/cgi-bin/depgraph?pkg=cups
>
> But the process itself is quite tedious: you need to rebuild the
> package, let checkpkg run, then see the list of surplus-dependency
> errors (for old packages) and dependency-missing. Then you need to
> read through that, hunt down all the relevant lines in the Makefile,
> correct them, run mgar repackage, rinse, repeat.
>
> We already have machinery capable of figuring out which binary will
> link against which. What if we made GAR call out to a utility which
> would detect dependencies caused by shared libraries, and
> automatically add them?

As we are facing massive rebuild times not only due to dependency updates
but also Solaris 11 I have some more radical ideas:

1. Isolated build environment

Now that Solaris 9 is gone we can clone fresh build zones and verify sufficient
setting of BUILD_DEPS.

2. Activate buildbot again

Compile in the background for dozens of auto-modified packages to see if it worked.

3. Enhanced package hierarchy

Add one more directory catalog/ in a package directory besides branches/, tags/ and trunk/
which contains a subdirectory for each catalog a package is in. This ensures easy
bugfixing in named catalogs and use auto-build packages for propagation in the catalog.

Thoughts?