[csw-maintainers] Boost

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Fri Mar 2 10:32:57 CET 2012

Hi Maciej,

Am 02.03.2012 um 10:24 schrieb Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński:
> I started looking at the new Boost. My first attempt to build from
> subversion trunk resulted in a build log which counted 5584
> occurrences of the word "error"[1]. There are bits of assembler code
> that expect v9 and don't build for v8 or v8+
>
> /var/tmp//ccAYaEJg.s: Assembler messages:
> /var/tmp//ccAYaEJg.s:1320: Error: Architecture mismatch on "cas".
> /var/tmp//ccAYaEJg.s:1320:  (Requires v9|v9a|v9b; requested architecture is v8.)

We go the path of providing 64 bit only for boost enabled stuff.
In GAR there is the idiom BUILD64_ONLY = 1 which should allow this,
but currently has issues with detecting isaexecable binaries.

> Generally, the state of the Solaris build seem to be poor. I asked a
> question on the boost-build mailing list[2], but got no answers. My
> repost to the general Boost devel mailing list is awaiting moderation.
> Maybe I'll have more luck over there.
>
> Has anyone here attempted a Boost build recently? Do you have any
> tips&trick, e.g. how to integrate a function from gnulib?

I doubt this is possible as boost has a special license similar to the BSD and
MIT licenses and I doubt the project will allow code under GPL:
  http://www.boost.org/users/license.html
So regardless of the fix gnulib chose, you would either need to rewrite it
or find a replacement under the appropriate license.