[csw-maintainers] Killing the stable release

Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Wed Mar 14 18:10:51 CET 2012

We've kept the stable release for people to use, calling it backward
compatibility. But it's not obvious to users that it's dead. We've
written this in a couple places, but in practice many people will not
notice, and try to use stable, which will most likely give a bad
impression of the state of the project.

Therefore, I'd like to propose this radical change: Rename it to
'stable-dead'. It will break what we called backward compatibility,
but here, it's a meaningless concept. Consider these points:

- people who'll try to update from stable, will get errors
  - but there will be no updates anyway
- people who are new, will see that it's dead and won't subscribe to
it, unless they want to subscribe to a dead catalog

So I see no real loss in doing that, and I see a gain in that the
death of stable will be impossible to miss.

With time, we'll introduce stable by creating a symlink from 'stable'
to 'dublin', but not earlier than 6 or 12 months after breaking the
old 'stable' directory.

Thoughts?